Wednesday 9 May 2012

Feelin' like blahhh and my first 5k!

Last Thursday I woke up feeling like crap and extremely tired (I'm rarely tired in the morning once I'm up). I never rarely get sick. I've been at my current job for 3 years and I've used maybe 3 sick days on actually being sick. It wasn't even that I was overly sick, but just extremely tired and worn out and just needed some rest. The last time I had a flu was 3.5 years ago and the last time a got sick (i.e. threw up) was in the 6th grade! I think it's safe to say that I have a pretty good immune system :)


Anyway, my coworker that fills in for me on my fridays off was pretty sick about a week ago and of course she sat at my desk during this time. So when I woke up feeling crappy on thursday and again on Friday I thought for sure I caught whatever she had. Then saturday and sunday came around and I felt perfectly fine and forgot about it. Then monday and tuesday happened and sure enough, I felt like crap again! My head felt like it weighed 30lbs, my throat felt funny and I just felt off. I skipped my runs and my eating hasn't been great. 


Today, I feel MUCH better! I don't feel tired or off and I'm looking forward to my run after work. Oh and the sun is back out and it's supposed to stay out all weekend - I love me some Vitamin D! 


I'm guessing my body was just fighting off whatever bug I may have come into contact with. My coworker suggested that it could've been the weather too as it's been gloomy/humid the past little while.. who knows, I'm just glad I feel better. 





As I've mentioned before, I'm part of a learn to run group at my office. The group consists of about 6 regulars and 3 other stragglers. Each spring for the past 3 years we've started this group and each year I participate and have great intentions, but by the time mid summer rolls around I start to flake out and give up. But times are a changin' and this year I plan on following through and continuing. Yesterday, some members of the group (including me!) signed up for our first official 5k race! Previous years we've run the Terry Fox Run in September, which is an amazing cause and very close to my heart, but it's not an "official" 5k (with shirts and medals) and people are allowed to walk, run, skip etc. So it wasn't enough motivation and I usually ended up walking it. 
Not this year! This year I'm going to run the 5k and receive my t-shirt and medal! Oh, did I mention that the race is on June 17th?? Yeah.. 39 days away! I better get running! 
I think this is just the motivation I need because I know I can do it! :)




Happy Hump Day Everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're feeling better!
    Good luck training for your first 5k! That's great motivation!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!